A 14-year-old girl from Chembur had to be hospitalised in the early hours today after she mistakingly consumed rat poison. The girl, identified as Nusarat Shiraj Ansari, was immediately rushed to the hospital and her condition is now, said to be stable.
Nusarat lives with her three sisters and parents in New Bharat Nagar, Chembur. Her father, Shiraj Ansari, is a jari worker and comes home late in the night after finishing work.
According to Nusarat’s father, the incident took place at around 11.30 pmlast night, while he was on his way home. Nusarat called up her father and told him that she had a shooting pain in her stomach. “Assuming it was gas, I told her to take the medicines kept in a paper pudi (packet) from the cupboard. When I went home at midnight and asked her how she was feeling, I observed that her body had turned cold,” Shiraj told mid-day.
He checked the cupboard only to realise that Nusarat had consumed rat poison instead of the medicine.
Shiraj immediately rushed his daughter to Shatabdi Hospital. However, after giving her primary medication, the doctors referred the girl to Sion Hospital, said Shiraj.
She was then hospitalised at Sion, where her condition is currently said to be stable. The RCF police was informed about the incident and police officials will be recording statements of the girl and her parents. “I have learnt my lesson and will keep poisonous substances out of reach,” Shiraj said.
Umesh Yadav's birthday: Indian cricketers and their tales of struggle
Photos: WWE star Sheamus and John Abraham clash in Mumbai
Photos: Raveena Tandon, husband Anil Thadani's dinner date in Bandra
Photos: Kareena Kapoor Khan spotted at Mumbai airport
Photos: Aamir Khan with brother Faisal, ex-wife Reena Dutta at MAMI