Mumbai: Third crocodile attack in 7 years for Bhure family

Apr 05, 2016, 07:06 IST | Sadaguru Pandit

As doctors are trying to salvage the right foot of Babu Bhure (50), who was attacked by a crocodile while fishing at Powai lake on March 28, his family revealed that it was for the third time that a family member was attacked by a crocodile in the last seven years. Bhure is currently recuperating at the orthopaedic department of Rajawadi Hospital.

Babu Bhure is currently recuperating at the Rajawadi Hospital
Babu Bhure is currently recuperating at the Rajawadi Hospital

“In 2010, uncle Mangesh succumbed to the injuries he sustained in a crocodile attack. Two years later, my cousin Vijay had to spend nearly a month in the hospital after being attacked by the reptile. And now, it’s my father,” said Babu’s son Suraj.

The latest incident took place around 8 am last Thursday while Babu was casting a net in the lake when the reptile bit his right foot.

While the BMC has banned all kinds of fishing activities at the lake, the fisherman disclosed that there were many like him who flouted norms to enter the lake on inflatable rafts, which made them vulnerable to crocodile attacks. Sole breadwinner for the family, Babu resides with his wife and son at Tirandaz village near IIT-B (Powai). “While the animal grabbed his right foot, he kicked it with his left foot. However, the bite was enough to detach his heel,” said Babu’s nephew Mangesh.

Doc speak
Dr Vidya Thakur, medical superintendent, Rajawadi Hospital, said Babu was kept under observation for now. “His wound has been sutured and doctors have removed the affected skin to prevent infection. The patient is stable,” she added.

Official speak
Kishor Thakare, ACF , Thane territorial (FD), said, “The BMC is supposed to keep an eye on trespassers entering the lake and initiate action against them because the lake doesn’t fall under our ambit. We’ll be installing signboards around the lake to warn people about the presence of crocodiles.”

In his statement, which was recorded yesterday, Babu told Forest Department officers that after managing to yank himself free from the jaws of death, he swam ashore.

Go to top