The senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader had moved court after the MCA had quashed his nomination for the president’s post in a battle that would have seen him take on the NCP chief.
Munde’s application was rejected as he was a permanent resident of Beed according to his electoral records. As per MCA’s bylaws, one has to be a permanent resident of Mumbai to contest their elections. Pawar was elected unopposed in the MCA’s biennial polls last month.
“He thought he was the king of MCA. He has never wanted to contest and win the elections. So, this is a big setback for Pawar. For a change there is someone who has challenged his monopoly in the MCA.
I am very happy with the decision. Justice has been done to me,” Munde told MiD DAY from New Delhi. The court has given a week’s time to the MCA to appeal against the order in the higher court. The MCA meanwhile has called for an urgent managing committee meeting today to discuss the matter.
“As of now we would not like to comment on anything. We respect the court’s decision. We would like to believe that irrespective of the outcome of the court case, Mr Pawar will always remain our mentor. He has done a lot to take the MCA to a different level,” Dr PV Shetty, MCA’s Joint Secretary said.
Sources have indicated that if things don’t work out according to plan, a re-election for the top post is the most likely option for MCA. Meanwhile, the court ruling has forced the MCA to do last minute changes for its December 3 function.
It is learnt Pawar would be introduced as a chief guest for the felicitation of Sachin Tendulkar at their Bandra Kurla Complex ground.