The 20th Century Fox release has raised its domestic total to 33.2 million dollars since opening Thursday for Valentine’s Day to get a jump on the long President’s Day weekend, the New York Post reported.
The previous weekend’s No. 1 movie, Universal’s comedy ‘Identity Thief’ starring Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy, was a close second with 23.4 million dollars to lift its haul to 70.7 million dollars.
Debuting at No. 3 with 21.4 million dollars was Relativity Media’s romance ‘Safe Haven,’ starring Julianne Hough and Josh Duhamel in an adaptation of the Nicholas Sparks novel about a woman who flees her abusive husband and takes up with a sensitive widower.
The Weinstein Co. animated tale ‘Escape from Planet Earth’ debuted a 4th place with 16.1 million dollars. With a voice cast that includes Brendan Fraser, Jessica Alba, Sarah Jessica Parker and Rob Corddry, the movie follows the adventures of aliens captured by the U.S. military.
1. ‘A Good Day to Die Hard - 25 million dollars
2. ‘Identity Thief’ - 23.4 million dollars
3. ‘Safe Haven’ - 21.4 million dollars
4. ‘Escape from Planet Earth - 16.1 million dollars
5. ‘Warm Bodies - 9 million dollars
6. Beautiful Creatures - 7.5 million dollars.
7. ‘Side Effects’ - 6.3 million dollars
8. ‘Silver Linings Playbook 6.1 million dollars
9. ‘Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters - 3.5 million dollars
10. ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ 3.1 million dollars
Photos: Aamir Khan with brother Faisal, ex-wife Reena Dutta at MAMI
Photos: Sonakshi Sinha, Sushant Singh Rajput at Mumbai airport
Spotted: Ajay Devgn and Kajol at an event in Mumbai
Birthday special: 21 cricketers who made their Test debut as teenagers
Pics: Prabhas, Tamannaah Bhatia at 'Baahubali 2' first look launch at MAMI