Next

No Olympics for Aussie shooter charged with firearm offences, drunk driving

Sydney: Australian shooting champion Michael Diamond  was yesterday ruled ineligible to appear at his seventh Olympics in Rio after being charged with drink-driving and firearm offences.

Aussie trap shooter Michael Diamond
Aussie trap shooter Michael Diamond

The 44-year-old double Olympic gold medallist was arrested in May after an alleged domestic incident with his brother and his future had been in the balance since.

"Shooting Australia today advised Michael Diamond and the Australian Olympic Committee that he is ineligible for nomination to the AOC for selection to the 2016 Australian Olympic team," the AOC said in a statement.

"Shooting Australia arrived at its position after considering the AOC's nomination and selection standards."

Diamond, a trap shooting gold medallist at the Atlanta and Sydney Olympics, denied the offences, including having a shotgun and 150 rounds of ammunition in his car, when he appeared before a court this month.

On his way into the hearing at AOC headquarters in Sydney Thursday, he said: "I'm innocent, totally innocent. And I'm prepared to fight it all the way. I'm a professional sportsman, and obviously going to seven (Olympics) in a row should say something."

AOC rules state that any athlete nominated must be in good standing with their national federation and must not have brought themselves, their sport or the Olympic movement into disrepute.

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply