Selectors, as expected, decided to give Clarke, David Warner and Matthew Wade a break from the early ODIs after they played in all six Test matches against South Africa and Sri Lanka this Southern Hemisphere summer.
Injured pair paceman James Pattinson (side strain) and Shane Watson (calf) were not considered for selection for the opening two ODIs in Melbourne on January 11 and Adelaide on January 13.
And there was no place for 37-year-old Hussey, who had announced that the third Test against Sri Lanka in Sydney will be his last in a 79-Test career. Chief selector John Inverarity said Hussey, who had been planning to retire from international cricket at the end of the Australian summer, was omitted for the whole series because the selectors were looking to build toward the 2015 World Cup. “Michael has been a tremendous ODI player over a long period of time, a match-winner for his country, and his presence in coloured clothing will be sorely missed,” Inverarity said.