Sao Paulo: Brazilian football legend Pele will leave hospital after recovering well from prostate surgery, doctors said, following his latest health scare.
The 74-year-old underwent surgery on Tuesday at Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, the same facility that treated him last year for a severe urinary tract infection.
"His release is scheduled for tomorrow but there is no specific time," the hospital said in a statement Friday, stressing Pele was making a "good recovery" and tests showed no signs of cancerous tumors.
A close friend and advisor, Jose Fornos Rodrigues, said that his surgery -- a transurethral resection of the prostate, or TURP -- "was a very simple procedure."
"Everything is going well with Pele, he is resting," the aide said. Media reports said the surgery for an enlarged prostate -- a common condition in aging men -- was aimed at preventing a repeat of the urinary infection that sent Pele to thehospital last year.