Pietersen was axed after a dramatic week that started with allegations he sent text messages to South African players containing derogatory comments about English captain Andrew Strauss and coach Andy Flower.
The 32-year-old, who had just scored a superb century in the drawn second Test against South Africa at Headingley, followed that bombshell by claiming he was ready to walk away from the sport due to what he perceived as problems in the England squad that he said “made it hard being me”.
With speculation increasing that he would be dropped when the third Test squad was named yesterday, the saga took a bizarre twist when Pietersen posted a video on YouTube on Saturday in which he claimed he was now ready to play all forms of international cricket having previously opted out of limited overs action. That seems to have been a misguided attempt to curry favour with the public when his fate was already sealed because just 24 hours later, the selectors confirmed that Pietersen had been left out of the must-win Lord’'s clash. But, with his international career seemingly in tatters, Pietersen released a statement later that made it clear he would continue to make himself available for selection. “I am hugely disappointed that the ECB have decided not to select me.
To say I am gutted is an understatement. This entire episode has been demoralising for me and my family. However, none of this constitutes the end of my career as an international cricketer,” he said.