Next

Pune: 1.28 L litres of water used to douse Chakan factory fire

Firemen from Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad and MIDC worked for six hours straight to douse the flames that engulfed a plastic toy manufacturing firm in MIDC yesterday

It took six hours, 32 tankers containing four thousand litres of water each, and a team of skilled firemen from Pune, Pimpri-Chinchwad and MIDC to douse the raging fire that engulfed a plastic toy manufacturing company in Chakan, MIDC, last morning. A short circuit is reported to have caused the fire. Raw materials and manufactured goods, worth R1 crore were destroyed in the blaze.

Fire
Taming the flames: Six fire tenders and five water tankers were deployed in the first hour. But, the fire continued to spread rapidly and additional fire tenders and tankers had to be brought in.

Officials rushed to site after receiving a call from the workers in the moulding section of the factory, who spotted the flames around 6.30 am. Six fire tenders and five water tankers were deployed in the first hour, but the fire continued to spread rapidly. Additional fire tenders and water tankers had to be brought in to douse the stubborn flames.

At a time when the city is facing water shortage and water cuts are on the rise, around 1.28 lakh litres of water were used to suppress the massive fire.

The building which caught fire belongs to Ashok Bhujbal, former president of the Rajgurunagar Co-operative Bank. It was leased out to an Italian company, Dream Plast India Private Limited.

Fire officer Navnath Waikar from Pune Fire Brigade, who was involved in the operation, said, “There were around 50 workers inside the building, but they managed to get out safely before the fire engulfed the structure. Due to the plastic material melting inside and strong winds blowing in our direction, it was difficult to get the fire under control.”

“We were forced to demolish a wall of the building to remove the tin sheets which were preventing the water from reaching the fire. The entire premises of the company were spread over 3,500 sq ft. We suspect a short circuit to have triggered the fire inside,” he said.

The fire was brought under control after six hours. While the building took its time to cool down, fire tenders from PCMC were kept on standby till 1.30 pm.

0 Views

You May Like

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply

    See More Latest News