Pune Chhaap: Tulsi Baug Ram Temple
Located near Mandai in Tulsi Baug, the Tulsi Baug Ram Temple’s earliest recorded history dates back to the 18th century.
According to historians, the statues of Lord Ram, Sita, and Laxman were made by Umajibaba Pandharpurkar, and were placed in the sanctum of the temple in November 1765. In 1767, the statues were adorned with ornaments in gold, silver, pearls and diamonds.
The interior of the Tulsi Bag Ram Temple
Currently, there are two utensil shops on both sides of the temple, and the entrance is accessible through a narrow bylane accessed from a small wooden door in a very old nondescript building.
The temple has a wooden hall that needs immediate renovation as some of the wooden columns have collapsed, one can find broken tiles cluttered around the hall; the hall is covered by a corrugated tin roof.
The interiors of the main hall are similar to the old wadas found in old Pune. The structure has a conical shape to it with several figurines of deities and saints on the shikhara, which has a gold plated finial on the top.
The temple wall has murals depicting the exploits of Lord Rama painted on it.