Despite being warned to stay away, a 27-year-old BPO employee, allegedly abused, molested and stabbed a 20-year-old girl on Wednesday night. The victim was on her way back home from her coaching class in Dighi, when the accused, Satyawan Habale, stopped her. The girl’s mother lodged a complaint at Vishrantwadi police station against the boy, who is a resident of the same area, and he was arrested that very night.

Representational pic

Sudhakar Kate, inspector at Vishrantwadi police station, said, “The victim and accused were friends and had met through a common friend. The girl’s mother had disapproved of the boy’s proposal a few months back and had warned him to stay away from her. On Wednesday, the girl was returning home from her coaching class when Habale intercepted her and told her to sit on his bike. When she refused, he started abusing her and, bringing out a kitchen knife, stabbed her on her hands and face. He also stabbed a passer-by who tried to rescue the girl. When Habale noticed that a crowd was gathering around them, he escaped.”

The girl’s mother rushed her to the hospital, where she was treated for her injuries. Speaking to mid-day, the victim’s mother said, “Habale has ruined my daughter’s life. This is not the first time he has harassed her. In August, he walked into our house and had proposed to my daughter. We warned him to stay away, and had even approached the police on August 8 for their intervention. But the cops let him off with a warning. If strict action had been taken at that time, this incident could have been avoided.”

The police arrested Habale and seized the knife he had used to stab the girl. “Her mother had approached us in August, and at the time we registered a non-cognisable offence against Habale. We had warned him then, as the girl’s parents did not want to escalate the matter. Even now, the family was not willing to register an FIR and we insisted that they do so,” claimed Kate.

Habale was produced before the first-class court of judicial magistrate and remanded in magisterial custody. He was later granted bail after he furnished solvent surety of Rs 15,000.