Madrid: Spanish tennis ace Rafael Nadal yesterday said he is working hard to be able to play in the US Open, although he admits doubts over his backhand may be decisive in keeping him from defending the title he won last year.
The World No 2 was forced to pull out of the Masters 1000 events at Toronto and Cincinnati as a result of a wrist injury and now his focus is on being able to step on court in Flushing Meadow Aug 25 for the last Grand Slam of the year, reports Xinhua.
"When you have a part of your body immobile for a while your muscles become weaker and you need time to get back to your former condition," he said in an interview.
"I am going to try as hard as possible to recover, but all I can do is wait for the news of when I can get back into training," he added.
Nadal will have tests on his wrist today and the result of these tests will determine if he will travel to the US Open.
"After the tests, I will know if I have improved. If the tests show I have improved, then I will have to try to see how much it hurts when I try and hit backhands," he explained.
"If I have the chance to compete, then I am going to make an effort, but we have to realise that we only have a week and a half and that does not leave a lot of time and I can't play if I can't hit a backhand."
Pics: Prabhas, Tamannaah Bhatia at 'Baahubali 2' first look launch at MAMI
'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' photos: Aishwarya, Anushka, Karan get candid at MAMI
Photos: Huma Qureshi, Neha Dhupia and other celebs at MAMI
Photos: Amy Jackson, Daisy Shah at Mumbai airport
Photos: Sridevi, Irrfan and other celebs at 'Mughal-e-Azam' screening