Madrid: Real Madrid lost their appeal against being kicked out of the Copa del Rey on Monday but said they would still fight the decision even if the country's Administrative Tribunal for Sport (TAD) insisted it was final.
The Spanish giants were thrown out of the competition for fielding an ineligible player, Denys Cheryshev, in their tie against third-tier side Cadiz earlier this month. Cheryshev not only started the match but also opened the scoring in Madrid's 3-1 win. But he shouldn't have been on the field as he was due to serve a one-match ban in the cup after picking up three yellow cards whilst on loan at Villarreal last season.
"The club respects, but does not share this resolution by the Tribunal," Real said in a brief statement. Real said that they would still pursue the matter in the courts and "other possible legal avenues are being examined". However, TAD defended its decision.
"Each club is responsible for verifying if their players are eligible for selection," said the committee. TAD added that a register exists which lists all ineligible players and the sanctions available. "Real Madrid know of the existence of this register and did not consult it. So they are liable for this omission."
J. Jayalalithaa passes away: Her life in pictures
Photos: Shah Rukh Khan, Deepika Padukone, Alia Bhatt at an awards show
Photos: Big B, Iulia Vantur at Himesh Reshammiya's album launch
Photos: Aamir Khan with 'Dangal' actresses at fashion show
Spotted: Twinkle Khanna, Shriya Saran at an event in Mumbai