The results reveal big differences in the sexes over how to give a loved one the push – and the reasons they give for the split, the Daily Mail reported.
Women are far more concerned about letting a man down gently – trying to soften the blow with emotional reasons for the split.
Dating site SeekingArrangement.com asked 1,000 of its male and female members why and how they would dump a partner.
Going against the stereotype of the commitment-phobe male, the most popular line used by women in ending a relationship is: “I’m not ready for commitment yet.”
The second most popular is: “This is going too fast for me.”
Interestingly, money – and the earning power of their partner – is far more important to a woman than a man.
“You don’t earn enough money” is the third most important reason on the women’s list, whereas it doesn’t feature at all on the men’s list.
For men, poor sex and lack physical compatibility appears far more important than women for why a relationship has failed.
The third most popular reason for men is they are no longer attracted to their partner and the fourth most popular reason is: “We’ve lost that sexual spark.”
Both sexes prefer to end a relationship face-to-face but they are also increasingly using email and text to tell a lover they are history.
Just over half of women (52 percent) would meet a partner to say the relationship is over, while fewer than half of men (43 percent) would break the news in person.
The top 10 reasons women give for ending the affair are:
1. I am not ready for commitment yet.
2. This is going too fast for me.
3. You don’t earn enough money.
4. You are not mature enough
5. I need to concentrate on my career
6. I don’t like your friends or family.
7. It’s just not working.
8. We are not going to get married, so what’s the point?
9. We have not got enough in common.
10. I don’t trust you.
The top 10 reasons men give for ending the relationship are:
1. It’s just not working.
2. I’ve met someone else.
3. I’m not attracted to you any more.
4. We’ve lost that sexual spark.
5. It’s not you, it’s me.
6. I need to concentrate on my career
7. We want different things.
8. I don’t want to see you any more.
9. I am not ready for commitment yet.
10. We have not got enough in common.
In pictures: Bend it like Mumbai yogini Natasha Noel
Photos: Varun, Taapsee, Jacqueline promote 'Judwaa 2' on 'Dance Plus 3'
Instagram's newest sensation: Check out these photos of Bruna Abdullah
Photos: This is how Chitrangda Singh looks without make-up
Photos: Malaika Arora parties wearing see-through lace dress