Next

RTE applicants still awaiting their admission confirmation

With less than a week left for the academic year to begin, the BMC is yet to announce the names of those alloted seats from the second list of candidates who applied through the online admission process under RTE

June 16 has been marked in calendars of students across the city as the first day of their academic year. However, the same cannot be said for kids who opted to apply through the online admission process under the Right to Education (RTE) reservation quota.

A senior BMC official said that in the second round, the remaining students will be allotted seats in the school of their choice. Representational pic
A senior BMC official said that in the second round, the remaining students will be allotted seats in the school of their choice. Representational pic

Around 3,200 students, who had submitted their application but were not listed after the first round of admissions on May 13, are being considered in the second round and the education department has received received close to 800 new applications.

With only a week to go before the academic year begins, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Commission (BMC) is yet to decide on a date when they will announce the second list of candidates who will be allotted seats in schools under the RTE, leaving 4,000 students in the lurch.

“I’d submitted all the documents, along with my son’s application form in the second week of April, hoping he will get admission in a good school. It has been almost two months.

His name did not appear in the first round and if he does not get admission in this round, we will have no other option left,” said Mahavir Rege, the father of one of the applicants.

Officials from the BMC’s education department said the second list is tentatively expected to come out on June 12, but the date is not confirmed. Meanwhile, many students who were allotted seats in the first round are still waiting for a confirmation from the schools.

“When I went to the school for my child’s admission, I was told that admissions are closed and we should try again next year. I don’t know what to do. Education officials have assured me that they will get my son’s admission confirmed,” said M Yadav, whose son was allotted a seat in Bangur Nagar Vidya Bhavan School, Goregaon.

Until last week, only 500-odd students, out of the 3,380 who were allotted seats in the first round, had their admission confirmed by the school. Shambhavi Jogi, BMC education officer, said, “Schools are saying that since there was no staff present during vacations, the confirmation will be done now.

We are sending representatives from our department to ensure students don’t have to struggle.” She added that in the second round, the remaining students will be allotted seats in the school of their choice.

0 Views

You May Like

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply