Sacrilege fallout: World Kabaddi Cup in Punjab cancelled
Chandigarh: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Tuesday announced cancellation of the sixth edition of the World Kabaddi Cup scheduled to be held in the state from November 14 to 28, in the wake of incidents of sacrilege and protests over them in the state.
Announcing this here, the Deputy Chief Minister, who also holds the sports portfolio, said he had taken the emergent decision to cancel the Kabaddi Cup in the wake of the recent incidents of sacrilege of Guru Granth Sahib.
"Kabaddi symbolises the spirit of the Punjabis and their quest for excellence in rural sports. At a time when the entire Sikh community is shell shocked with grief at the ghastly manner in which Guru Granth Sahib has been desecrated, holding such a tournament is not appropriate," he said.
Sukhbir said the feelings of the entire Punjabi community had been outraged after the 'ghastly incidents of sacrilege'.
"My feelings too have been outraged and my conscience is not allowing me to preside over a tournament at a time when the Sikh community in India and all over the world is in grief over the ghastly acts of sacrilege," he said.
A series of incidents of desecration of the Sikh holy book followed by protests by religious orgainsations, including hardliners, has put Punjab on boil recently.