Australian tennis player Samantha Stosur created history when she became the first female Australian player to win a Grand Slam in 31 years. Evonne Goolagong Cawley was the last woman to do it in Wimbledon in 1980. CS gives you some trivia on the new champion:
* Samantha was born in Brisbane, Queesland and shifted to Adelaide when she was six. She is of Polish descent.
* She first played professional tennis in 1999 on the ITF circuit. Samantha debuted on the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) in 2000 losing in the first qualifying round of the Australian Open.
* In 2005, she reached her first WTA tour final at her home event in Gold Coast losing to Patty Schnyder. In July 2005, she teamed up with American Lisa Raymond winning seven WTA doubles titles including the US Open, Kremlin Cup and WTA Tour Championships.
* After the French Open in 2007, she was diagnosed with Lyme disease, an infection transmitted by the bite of ticks. She returned to the professional circuit a year later making it to the finals of the ladies and mixed doubles in Wimbledon.
* In 2009 she had a good run in singles tournaments and she finished the year ranked 15, her best so far.
* The lady had a dream run in the 2010 French Open where she reached the finals defeating three former World No 1s Justine Henin, Maria Sharapova and Serena Williams in the run up. But she lost in the finals to Francesca Schiavone.
* Samantha is known for her muscles, which are one of the biggest in the female tennis circuit. She is said to be one of the manly looking players on the tour along with Amelie Mauresmo. There are also rumours of Samantha being a closeted lesbian.
* After her US Open win, Samantha has been dubbed as Twinkletoes by Cawley.