The plush bungalow of M A Lincoln, the Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (Officers), on Gurudwara Road near Racecourse in Camp caught fire around 3.50 pm yesterday, possibly due to a short circuit in the air conditioner wiring in the house.
Charred: A team of firemen rushed to the spot and doused the flames within 15 minutes. Pic/Mohan Patil
No one was injured in the incident. Pune Fire Brigade officials pressed their number one fire tender — equipped with asbestos suits, foam can, various nozzles etc — into action, since the call was received from senior army officials, and a team of 15 firemen and officers saved important documents in the bungalow by dousing the fire within 15 minutes of receiving the call.
Fire Officer Pradeep Khedekar said, "The bungalow is spread over 4 gunthas (4,356 sqft) and has construction on 2,500 sqft. Since it belongs to a senior army officer, there could have been important documents in the house. So we took no chances and rushed 3 fire tenders and one water tanker to the spot."
"The AC wiring in one of the rooms was found burnt, from which we have concluded that the fire was caused due to a short circuit. The officer's family members had safely vacated the house by the time fire brigade jawans reached there. We saw that the wooden channels below the metal sheets and roof bricks were burning.
Our jawans had to climb onto the roof, cut the sheets and then spray water. We had to avoid heavy use of water during the operation," Khedekar said.
Photos: 'Rock On 2' stars Farhan, Shraddha on 'Yaaron Ki Baraat'
Photos: Ajay Devgn launches 'Shivaay' comics at Mumbai Comic Con
Photos: WWE star Sheamus and John Abraham clash in Mumbai
Umesh Yadav's birthday: Indian cricketers and their tales of struggle
Photos: Raveena Tandon, husband Anil Thadani's dinner date in Bandra