Milan: Roma striker Mattia Destro has agreed to join AC Milan, the struggling Serie A giants announced Thursday. Milan CEO Adriano Galliani agreed terms with Roma officials on Wednesday and had only been waiting on the 23-year-old Italy international player's agreement.
No further details were given by Milan, although it is believed Destro will move on a six-month loan deal worth 700,000 euros but could secure a permanent deal to the San Siro giants at the end of the summer for 16 million euros.
A brief statement on Milan's website said: "Mattia Destro has said yes to a move to AC Milan." Destro, who joined Roma in 2012 from Siena, posted an emotional message on his official Facebook to pay tribute to the club.
"Thank you Roma: I was a kid and you helped me to grow up... it was here I discovered that Love with a capital L really exists@ "Now, it's off to Milan for a new challenge but I'm confident and determined!!!! Now the countdown to my first game at the San Siro begins." Destro could make his debut for Milan in Sunday's home game against basement side Parma.
It is the club's second signing in as many days, following the arrival of Spartak Moscow midfielder Salvatore Bocchetti on a six-month loan deal on Wednesday. Embattled Milan slipped to 11th in Serie A, 23 points behind leaders and champions Juventus, following Sunday's 3-1 defeat to Lazio which saw striker Stephan El Shaarawy join the club's casualty list.
El Shaarawy, who only returned to the Milan fray earlier this season following a lengthy injury lay-off, is out for at least six weeks after fracturing a metatarsal bone in his right foot. Destro was rumoured to be a target for Chelsea and Real Madrid last summer, but failed to make the cut for Italy's 2014 World Cup squad. The striker has been unhappy at the Stadio Olimpico this season having failed to secure a regular starting place under coach Rudi Garcia. Roma sit seven points behind champions and leaders Juventus in the Italian top flight.