“To meet the deadline, my two DIGs, five DCPs, 550 ATS personnel and myself are investigating the case day and night,” the ATS chief said yesterday. Maria said investigation into the serial blasts case was on the right track and soon the case would be solved.
“But it would be premature to comment now, as the case is sensitive,” Maria said. Four low-intensity blasts on JM Road on August 1 had disrupted daily life in the city.
Asked about Dayanand Patil’s role in the blasts, Maria said nothing had been ruled out and they were investigating the case from all possible angles.
“The SC’s verdict will send a direct message to the youth who are being radicalised by terrorist organisations. I am sure that after this verdict, some will distance themselves from getting brainwashed,” Maria said.
Maria said the entire case was unique, as the conspiracy was hatched on foreign soil and the 26/11 Mumbai attacks were executed with great coordination.
“After nabbing Kasab, the investigators had the herculean task of collecting evidence to prove his role in the attacks. I congratulate ATS investigators, Mumbai police, National Security Guards and other enforcement agencies. They worked hard, collected evidence against Kasab and submitted a strong chargesheet, and made it stand to the legal and judicial scrutiny,” Maria said.
Maria congratulated Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and senior advocate Gopal Subramanium who pleaded on government’s behalf and made sure the SC and HC upheld the decision to award the death sentence to Kasab.