A special CBI court on Friday rejected the bail application of former media honcho Peter Mukerjea, in the Sheena Bora murder case. The arguments of both sides concluded on last Saturday. Peter's lawyer have confirmed the same.
The bail application filed by Peter Mukerjea's lawyer Kushal Mor, was heard by the special CBI court last week. After hearing both sides, the judge kept the matter for order on February 12.
The CBI prosecutor, who opposed Mukerjea's bail plea, told the court that prima facie evidence shows his involvement in the crime. The CBI also stated that there were chances of the evidence being tampered with, considering Mukerjea's clout. The chargesheet, however, is yet to be filed as investigations are still on.
While arguing for the British national's plea for bail, senior advocate Amit Desai said that there was no evidence to justify his continued detention. The senior counsel also pointed out that the only evidence that was brought by the CBI in reply to Peter's bail application was a statement by his wife Indrani, recorded on December 15, 2015, in which she had stated informing Peter about Sheena's murder after her body was disposed of on April 25, 2012.
Despite allegedly having knowledge of the crime, Mukerjea did not inform the police.
Desai, while concluding his arguments, told the court that Peter is not a threat to society if released on bail. "We have also filed an application that we are ready to give in his passport. His conduct shows that we will be here to face trial. It is a vague allegation that he may tamper with the evidence."