Spain train crash driver faces 79 counts of homicide

Jul 30, 2013, 01:24 IST | Agencies

The driver of the speeding train that derailed in Spain last week, killing 79 people, was provisionally charged on Sunday with multiple cases of negligent homicide.

A court statement said investigative magistrate Luis Alaez released Francisco Jose Garzon Amo without bail.


Mourning for their loved ones: A memorial will be held for those who lost their lives in the train crash. Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, several ministers and the King’s children Prince Felipe and Infanta Elena will attend. Pic/AFP

The statement said Garzon must appear in court once a week and is forbidden to leave Spain without permission.

It said the train driver’s licence had also been withdrawn. Earlier, Garzon was questioned for almost two hours at the court in Santiago de Compostela, the northwestern town near where the accident occurred.

The 52-year-old claimed in the immediate aftermath of the accident that he “could not brake,” the court heard.
 

Go to top