24-yr-old and his female companion suffered grievous injuries; the couple was part of a larger group of bikers

A speed breaker is an obstacle that is planted on the road with the specific purpose of ensuring that vehicles ply within the speed limit. However, speed devils in the city have now begun using the bumpy concrete installations as a means of entertainment to perform stunts. In the wee hours of yesterday morning, a 24-year-old youth and his female friend landed in the hospital with bruises and injuries when the biker tried to race over the speed breaker at Worli.

Near death experience: Meet Gala misjudged the length of the speed
breaker and lost control of the bike when he crossed the speed breaker.
Though he sustained head and leg injuries, he is said to be out of danger

According to the police, the duo was among a group of five bikers who were racing against each other when the accident occurred near Sagar Tarang, Worli Seaface.

"The bikers were speeding from Haji Ali towards BWSL at around 3.50 am," said Tanaji Telvikar, police sub inspector of Worli police station. According to the cops, the bikers had started their race from Ghatkopar.

When the bikers reached Sagar Tarang, Meet Gala, the rider, misjudged the length of the speed breaker and lost control of the bike when he crossed the breaker.

"Sitting behind Meet was his friend, Vrusthi Ajmera, (21), also a resident of Ghatkopar and a student of R A Podar College. The impact of the collision was such that she was thrown off the bike the moment it hit the speed breaker," added Telvikar.

The injured were rushed to the nearby by hospital by their other biker friends. Later, Meet was shifted to Fortis Hospital, while Vrusthi was admitted to Lilavati.

Meet, who sustained head and leg injuries is said to be out of danger, confirmed his father, Rajesh, who was present in the hospital till late night. On being asked about Vrusthi, Rajesh added, "I have no idea why the girl was with him at the time of the accident. She is still under treatment and has been rushed to Lilavati Hospital."