Sunanda Pushkar died of Alprax drug overdose: AIIMS medical board
Sunanda Pushkar, wife of Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, died of poisoning due to an overdose of the anti-anxiety drug Alprax, an AIIMS medical board has said in its report
New Delhi: Sunanda Pushkar, wife of Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, died of poisoning due to an overdose of the anti-anxiety drug Alprax, an AIIMS medical board has said in its report.
According to a report by national daily Indian Express, the report states, ' The circumstantial recovery of empty Alprax tablets (27 tablets) and report of FBI, which shows that presence of Alprax in stomach and its contents, spleen, liver, half of each kidney, blood sample, as well as urine wet clothing, bed cover and bed sheet, confirmed the death due to 'excessive ingestion of tablet alprazolam.'
The medical board's report states that the FBI reported the presence of lidocaine, an antiarrhythmic drug of heart which may cause fatality if administered intravenously.
The medical board has also stated Pushkar was discharged in a perfectly healthy condition on January 14, 2014, from Kerala Institute Medical Sciences, and was never diagnosed as a case of lupus despite thorough investigation in several laboratories.
On an email claiming Pushkar had lupus and was consulting a doctor practising in Dubai, the medical board has stated it was a 'desperate effort to mislead the investigation by a doctor who is not even a specialist of lupus and merely a child specialist'.