Geneva: Suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter has been hospitalised after being placed under medical observation for stress, but he is expecting to leave the facility early next week, his spokesman said yesterday.
"He is now, at this moment, in hospital," Blatter's spokesman Klaus Stoehlker told AFP over the phone.
"He is preparing to leave on Monday and will be back on the job on Tuesday." Stoehlker added that 79-year-old Blatter had "regained his good humour" and has vowed to persist with "his fight against the (FIFA) ethics committee" that suspended him for 90 days over corruption allegations.
Blatter suffered a medical incident last weekend and had been placed under medical observation from his home.
Blatter's daughter Corinne has said that her father had been forced to cancel all of his appointments up to November 15. Stoehlker previously said the stress-related medical incident was due to pressure the Blatter faced recently.
Blatter has been at the centre of football's worst scandal. Swiss prosecutors opened a criminal case against him in September, after which he was suspended from FIFA.
Before he was suspended, Blatter, who has been in charge of FIFA since 1998, had said he would step down on February 26, next year, when a FIFA congress elects a new chief.