A 28-year-old man was arrested by the Khandeshwar police in Navi Mumbai for sexually assaulting a 22-year-old teacher, when she was on her way to school on Friday morning. The complainant claims that the accused had sexually assaulted her more than a month ago, after which she got scared and had asked a friend to accompany her.

The arrested accused was identified as Shankar Kewal Paswan, a resident of Panvel. He is unemployed. The complainant is a resident of New Panvel and a teacher with a school in Kharghar in Navi Mumbai.

The complainant, in her statement to police said that on March 18, Friday, she left her residence at around 6:30 am, as she had to give a lecture at 7:30 am. "The complainant usually goes from Sector 5 in New Panvel and crosses the tracks to come towards Khanda colony, from where she boards public transport to reach Kharghar. On Friday when she reached near the flyover at Khanda colony, a man hiding there caught her. He had removed his pants and started sexually assaulting her. She started screaming and the accused fled. Her friend had accompanied her, but had stepped a few metres ahead when the assault happened. The friend along with passersby caught hold of the accused and a case was registered against him," said a police officer from Khandeshwar police station.

Police said the complainant identified the accused and said he had sexually assaulted her about a month ago. "The woman claims that on February 1, she was alone when the accused caught her hand and sexually assaulted her. When she screamed, he fled. Scared, instead of filing a complaint then, she informed her friend. For over a month, she used to be accompanied by her friend while going to work. Her friend is a teacher at the same school," said the officer.

Amar Desai, senior PI, Khandeshwar police station confirmed the arrest of the accused. The Khandeshwar police have registered a case against the accused under Section 354 of the Indian Penal Code. "The arrested accused who was caught by the public, was produced in court and was remanded in police custody for two days," added the officer.