Thane: Exploding gas cylinders spark massive fire, none hurt
A truck, carrying around 300 cooking gas cylinders, exploded into a huge ball of fire near a village on urbad-Mhasa road here, police said today
Thane: A truck, carrying around 300 cooking gas cylinders, exploded into a huge ball of fire near a village on Urbad-Mhasa road here, police said today.
The incident took place last night around 9.45 PM at an isolated place when locals of Bhatichi Wadi village heard thunderous explosions from a far-off spot, as the truck was proceeding to Murbad from Alibaug, SHO S V Dumada told PTI.
The fire began after the driver of the truck Somnath Wagh (48) saw smoke emanating from the engine of the vehicle, and tried to contain the spark but later made a miraculous escape after the flames began to spread rapidly triggering the cylinder blasts.
Soon after the incident, Deputy SP of Murbad Nagesh Vhatkar and Police Inspector Murbad Ashok Amle besides, more than half a dozen fire engines rushed to the scene to fight the inferno.The truck was reduced to ashes but there was no loss of life due to the explosion, police added.
However, panic and chaos gripped the village when the cylinders began exploding one by one igniting a massive fire, which lasted for three hours. Dumada said a case of accident has been registered and further probe is underway.