There have been no objections so far to ICC proposal: Sanjay Patel
Chennai: The Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) secretary Sanjay Patel yesterday defended the proposed revamp structure of the International Cricket Council that aims to leave executive decision-making in the hands of India, Australia and England.
BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel talks to reporters during an event recently. Pic/Getty Images
“It’s a recognition of India’s involvement in cricket and revenue generation by India. We are asking for the legitimate right and it would not shrink cricketing activity in any way,” Patel told reporters after the emergency Working Committee meeting, which was chaired by BCCI vice-president Shivlal Yadav after President N Srinivasan was forced to skip it because of his mother’s demise yesterday morning.
While Cricket South Africa has called the new structure a “fundamentally flawed” proposal, the Federation of International Cricketers’ Association (FICA) Executive Chairman Paul Marsh feels the new plan is unconstitutional.
The BCCI approved the reforms proposed by ICC’s Commercial Rights Working Group that aim at reforming the power structure in the world body. According to the proposals, the BCCI, Cricket Australia (CA) and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will have more say in running the world body.
“There have been no objections so far. It’s a question of understanding, not a question of power game. We are not asking more than what we should get,” Patel explained.
Patel also said that the Working Committee authorised the office bearers to enter into agreements with ICC for participating and hosting ICC events, subject to the proposal being approved in the ICC Board.
“We have also authorised the office bearers to discuss bilateral matches with other full members (including Pakistan) and sign formal FTP (Future Tours Programme) Agreements,” Patel said in a release. Patel said the Board discussed the possibility of having Tests in a revived and revamped Champions Trophy.
Former BCCI president and ICC chief Jagmohan Dalmiya said: “Only time will tell whether the move would shrink cricket or expand the game globally,” he said.
IPL-7 from April 14?
Meanwhile, the Working Committee decided that the venues and the dates of the seventh edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) would be decided only after the dates for the Lok Sabha polls are announced. It is learnt that the IPL-7 is likely to start around April 14.