At least three devotees, in their 20s, were electrocuted and 28 injured when electric wires used for tapping power illegally fell on a Durga Puja marquee in Uttar Pradesh's Gorakhpur district early Monday, an official said.
The wires snapped at around 12.30 a.m. in the pandal put up at the Dharamshala crossing, some 300 km from here.
"The injured are being treated at the district hospital and several nursing homes. Most of them are out of danger," District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar told IANS.
The electric wire that snapped fell on the iron pipes used in the marquee that came in contact with the devotees.
According to police, the organiser -- a businessman -- was absconding.
"Though there was a generator at the site, at the behest of the organiser the electricity drawn at the pandal was being illegally tapped," a senior police official told IANS.
Photos: Katrina Kaif, Shamita Shetty at Mumbai airport
Photos: Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt promote 'Badri...' on 'Dil Hai Hindustani'
In pictures: 15 facts about kissing that will surprise you
Photos: Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput at cafe in Bandra
Photos: Deepika Padukone, Neha Dhupia and Soha Ali Khan at event