Three more bodies of INS Sindhurakshak crew to be flown home
The bodies of three more Indian Navy personnel, who lost their lives in the August 14 disaster on board submarine INS Sindhurakshak, will be flown to their respective hometowns from Mumbai, a navy official said today
"Arrangements have been made to take the bodies to their respective homes, where their last rites will be performed with full naval honours," the official said.
Indian Navy had on August 31 identified six of the 11 bodies which were recovered from the submarine. With three more bodies having been identified, the Navy has so far been able to ascertain the identities of nine deceased.
There was an explosion on board the Russian-made Kilo- class diesel-electric submarine on August 14, which saw 18 Navy personnel, including three officers, losing their lives.
INS Sindhurakshak had been commissioned into the Indian Navy in 1997 at a cost of around Rs 400 crore and had later undergone an extensive Rs 450-crore upgrade in Russia.
"A solemn wreath laying ceremony for the three Indian Navy personnel who died on board INS Sindhurakshak was held at naval hospital INHS Asvini today," the Navy official said.