"Sir Alex Ferguson retires. #thankyousiralex"
- The Manchester United press office (@MU_Spokesperson) confirms the shock retirement of long-serving manager Alex Ferguson with a tweet that was retweeted over 32,000 times
"A tip for all those heading to Perth! Avoid the crown or casino! Shithole, can't get in if you have had a drink #shitplace#dickheads"
- Ryan Harris after being denied entry into Perth's casino for reportedly being drunk, after Australia won the Ashes 3-0 against England
"By the way, you can't blame Broad for not walking, hats off I say if you nick it to 1st slip stand your ground & get given not out!"
- Shane Warne (@warne888) after England cricketer Stuart Broad controversially refused to walk despite clearly being caught in the slips in the Ashes Test at Trent Bridge.
"Shock me @crashcraddock1 talking shit about ipl jealous p****. Get a real job. All you do is bag people. #getalife."
- Australian cricketer David Warner (@davidwarner31) hitting out at Aussie journalist Robert Craddock.
"Have to take back what I said about Thiago Silva being over-rated today. Been immense tonight. Still looks like an overweight ladyboy though!"
- English bad-boy midfielder Joey Barton (@Joey7Barton), then on loan at Marseille, has a pop at Paris Saint-Germain centre-back Thiago Silva. Barton was later handed a suspended two-game ban by the French football authorities
"GOAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAHITI!!!!!!! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!! #NeverGiveUp Tehau HERO!!!!!!"
- The official Twitter account of the Tahiti Football Federation (@TahitiFootball) reacts after Jonathan Tehau scores the country's first ever goal at a senior pan-continental tournament in a 6-1 loss to Nigeria at the Confederations Cup
"Dear @Cristiano. I apologise if you were upset by my light-hearted answer at private event on Friday. I never meant to offend you."
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter (@SeppBlatter) seeks to bury the hatchet with Cristiano Ronaldo after video emerges of a speech he gave at the Oxford University union in which he mocked the Real Madrid megastar
"You minions need to live from the inside out rather than the outside in!!!!", "Just sick of negative a******** sat behind a keyboard with a pitiful life mate !thats all!" and "Like I give a F*** what the haters say! That's life ! Some people will always be just a little bit better and work just a little bit harder."
- British golfer Lee Westwood (@WestwoodLee) after he was criticised for his poor performance at the US PGA Championships. Westwood later apologised.
"Couple caddies got rolled by some Pakkis (Pakistanis), bad night for them."
"Things about Southport -- fat tattooed guy, fat tattooed girl, trash, Pakistani robber guy, shit food."
- Australian golfer Steve Elkington (@elkpga) not impressed by living and playing conditions at the Senior British Open at Royal Birkdale in Southport, north-west England. Elkington later apologised.
"Yes my husband #rocked his kilt today in support of @andy_murray he even wore this @Wimbledon w/guns and roses T '08."
- US women's tennis player Bethanie Mattek-Sands (@BMATTEK) on seeing Andy Murray win Wimbledon.
"What can I say, I was tired, my back hurt from sitting on the floor, and we were talking about relaxation and focusing."
- US golfer Jason Dufner (@JasonDufner) tweeting after a picture of him lolling on the floor with a group of children became a social media sensation. His laid-back posture sparked a stream of similar pictures of other players in the pose which was dubbed 'Dufnering'.
"@malcolmconn are you still talking you old f***, no wonder know one buys your paper."
- Warner again in another blast at the media, this time Malcolm Conn was the target. Warner was later fined by Cricket Australia for both rants.
"I met guy from tabloid newspaper and he wanted interview. I said NO...so, we will see great article..."
- Czech tennis player Tomas Berdych (@tomasberdych) knows media all too well.
"That match was so exciting I had to ask staff to move Me to the edge of My seat #Murray #Wimbledon."
- Not Roger Federer (@PseudoFed), a parody Twitter account gently spoofing the former world number one and 17-time major winner.
Photos: Katrina Kaif, Shamita Shetty at Mumbai airport
Photos: Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt promote 'Badri...' on 'Dil Hai Hindustani'
In pictures: 15 facts about kissing that will surprise you
Photos: Shahid Kapoor and Mira Rajput at cafe in Bandra
Photos: Deepika Padukone, Neha Dhupia and Soha Ali Khan at event