Trivia: Milestones achieved by Test cricket bowlers
On this very day, Sir Richard Hadlee took his 400th Test wicket during New Zealand match against India. In the process, he became the first bowler to reach 400 wickets in Tests. We take a look at other bowlers who were first to reach milestones in Test wickets
On this very day, Sir Richard Hadlee took his 400th Test wicket during New Zealand's match against India. In the process, he became the first bowler to reach 400 wickets in Tests. We take a look at other bowlers who were the first to reach milestones in Test wickets.
Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Courtney Walsh. Pic/ AFP
* The first bowler to reach the milestone of 100 wickets was Johnny Briggs from England. He achieved this in their match against Australia in 1895.
* Australia’s bowler Clarrie Grimmett was the first bowler to take 200 wickets in Tests.
* An England bowler by the name of Fred Trueman was the first bowler to reach 300 Test wickets. This was when he took the wicket of Neil Hawke during the Ashes series against Australia in 1964.
* During a home series in 1990 against India, New Zealand pacer Richard Hadlee took the wicket of Sanjay Manjrekar to become the first bowler to reach 400 wickets in Tests. He did so in his 79th match.
* West Indian pace ace Courtney Walsh, in his 129 match, created history as the first bowler to reach 500 wickets when he took the wicket of Jacques Kallis in his match against South Africa.
* Australia’s legendary spinner Shane Warne was the first to take 600 Test wickets when he scalped the wicket of Marcus Trescothick during his match against England in 2006.It was his 126 match.
* The Aussie spinner was also the first to 700 wickets. Similarly this was during a match against England when he took out England opener Andrew Strauss.
* During his final Test match in July 2010, Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan took thw wicket of Pragyan Ojha to create history to become the only bowler to reach 800 Test wickets.