Istanbul: Turkish football club Fenerbahce said Monday that the team would not play until the circumstances surrounding a gun attack on a bus carrying its players have been clarified.
The statement came just before the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) announced that the league games have been postponed for one week. "We have no intention of playing until this incident has been fully resolved," club executive Deniz Tolga Aytore said of Saturday's incident, in which the driver of the team bus was hurt as players returned to Istanbul after beating Rizespor 5-1.
"Those games have no meaning anymore. No championship, no victory is more important than human life," he said, saying it falls upon the state to find the perpetrators. "We will never ever forget what has happened. It was an assassination attempt towards Fenerbahce, an act of terrorism."
The bus was shot at late Saturday as the Turkish Super Lig leaders passed through the northeastern town of Trabzon following their away game in nearby Rize. No players were hurt in the attack, but the driver was wounded in the face. The Trabzon chief prosecutor, which launched a probe into the incident, said in a statement on Monday that a person identified as "M.D." who had allegedly made death threats over the Internet had been detained.
SRK-Gauri anniversary: B-Town stars and their non-filmi better halves
Birthday special: Popular mothers and daughters in Bollywood
Spotted: 'Kaabil' star Hrithik Roshan with dad Rakesh Roshan
'Rock On 2' trailer launch: Farhan, Shraddha enthrall audience with live gig
Photos: Deepika Padukone, Sushmita Sen with daughters at Mumbai airport