Two Naxals gunned down in Chhattisgarh's insurgency-hit Sukma district

Raipur: At least two Naxals were on Thursday killed by security forces following a major gun-battle in Chhattisgarh's insurgency-hit Sukma district.

"The operation was launched collectively by CRPF's elite Commando Battalion for Resolute Action's (CoBRA) 208 battalion and two teams of state's District Reserve Group (DRG) under Bhejji Police Station limits," Inspector General of Police, Bastar Range, S R P Kalluri said.

The operation was based on the information about the location of Maoist commander Hidma, who is the head of 1st military battalion of Naxals, in the region.

"We received inputs that Hidma had arrived to take part in a marriage ceremony of a close cadre in Dubbakonta village following which we mobilised our composite forces last evening towards the region to nab him," he said. When security forces reached near Dubbakonta - a Maoist hotbed - early this morning, a group of armed insurgents opened indiscriminate fire on them, triggering a gun-battle between the two sides, the IG said.

"So far, two bodies of Maoists in 'uniform', besides a muzzle loading gun, Insas rifle magazines and Maoist articles have been recovered," he said.

However, police are yet to trace Hidma, he said. Hidma was allegedly involved in the 2013 Jiram valley Naxal attack in Bastar's Darbha region in which 31 people, including some senior state Congress leaders, were killed and the 2010 Chintalnar ambush in Dantewada in which 76 troopers were killed.

Further details will be known once the police team returns to its camp, Kalluri added.

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply