St John’s (Antigua): A report into alleged interference in the selection process has determined that the two highest ranking officials of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) spoke without ‘approval’ when they backed the retention of veteran batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul for the Australia series.
WICB president Dave Cameron and his vice president, Emmanuel Nanthan had supported Chanderpaul’s selection last May after the Clive Lloyd-led selection panel had decided to drop the veteran left-hander, reports CMC.
In a media release on Sunday, the WICB said the findings of the report showed that both Cameron and Nanthan had spoken in personal capacities.
“The findings stated that the actions of the president and vice president to support the selection of Shivnarine Chanderpaul for the home series in May last year, were personal statements and were done without approval of the board of directors,” the release said.
Chanderpaul was controversially left out of the squad for the Australia series following a run of low scores in previous series against South Africa and England.