A wholesale general store was gutted by fire in Sector 19-C near Mathadi Bhavan at APMC market, Vashi. The incident took place at around 1 pm yesterday. The cause of the fire is believed to be a short circuit.
Fire fighters rush to a general store in Vashi which caught on fire due to a short circuit. Pic/Sameer Markande
“When the fire started, five people were still stuck on the first floor. I broke through the glass window, entered the shop and managed to rescue them,” said Ramesh Vaidya, a traffic policeman. Out of the five rescued, three were women.
The fire spread quickly as the store had stocked up on perfumes, deodorants and other inflammable goods.
“It took us more than four hours to douse the fire. The goods, exploded after catching fire,” said AD Borade, a senior fire officer from the Nerul unit.
Mumbai Roundup: 9 incidents that took place this week
Photos: Ajay Devgn, Parineeti, Tabu at 'Golmaal Again' trailer launch
Photos: Dipika Pallikal Karthik oozes oomph in bikinis and sarees
Photos: Kareena Kapoor Khan's grand birthday bash
Photos: 'Dangal' girls Sanya Malhotra, Fatima Sana Shaikh's dinner outing