Mumbai: Violent builders caught after video of them attacking minors goes viral

The accused, who brutally beat up three minors including a nine-year-old, claimed that the boys stole money from a Navratri pandal they had set up

Grabs from the WhatsApp video that went viral. Pics/Hanif Patel
Grabs from the WhatsApp video that went viral. Pics/Hanif Patel

A video, that went viral on Friday, showed three minor boys being brutally beaten up by a bunch of builders. The youths had been accused of stealing cash from a Navratri Pandal donation box at Nalasopara.


Three boys, Mohit Patel (9) Golu Pandey (16) and Ritesh Shrivastava (15) were beaten up in front of a large crowd for almost three hours on October 7 by builders — Deepak Singh, Arzu Shrivastava and Mukesh Yadav — who had organised the pandal under the banner of Jay Ambe Dhaam Durga Pooja Samiti. The incident was recorded by a spectator, and only came to light when the video went viral.

Mohit, who went into shock after the beating, ran away from home but came back on Friday. It was Golu who approached the police and registered a complaint on the day of the incident. But the officer on duty didn’t take any action and sent Golu home without conducting a medical test. It was only when the video went viral this week that the superior officer was notified and the two accused — Singh and Yadav — were booked on Saturday.

While speaking to mid-day, Golu said, “They first beat up Ritesh and Mohit, and then me. I went to Waliv police station where the duty officer registered my complaint and gave me the NC copy.” Golu belongs to the Gazipur District of Uttar Pradesh and came to Mumbai after his father died four years ago. A school drop-out, he was working as an electrician. Ritesh, also an electrician, was staying with his uncle, while Mohit stays with his parents who are daily-wage workers. Mohit also told mid-day that the builders forced him to smoke ganja before they beat him up.

Police inspector Mahesh Patil said, “If the duty officer has acted negligently, then an enquiry will be conducted against him. We have taken two of the accused into custody and are in search of the others seen in the video beating up the boys.”

You May Like



    Leave a Reply