Virat Kohli rises to career-best 9th in Test rankings, Ashwin remains no. 1 all-rounder
Dubai: Owing to his decent performance in the just-concluded two-Test series against New Zealand, India batsman Virat Kohli rose to his career-best ninth position in the latest ICC Test rankings issued on Wednesday.
Kohli, who made 214 runs in four innings, broke into top-10 for the first time in his career and joined compatriot Cheteshwar Pujara, who slipped a rung to be on seventh spot.
Kohli jumped two places following his knocks of 38 and 105 not out in the Wellington Test, which ended in a draw.
Virat Kohli celebrates reaching the three-figure mark on day 5 of the 2nd Test between New Zealand and India in Wellington at the Basin Reserve on Tuesday. Pic/AFP
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin slipped two places to be at number 10 and is still the highest-ranked Indian bowler ahead of left-arm tweaker Pragyan Ojha (12th) in Test bowlers rankings.
New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum's spectacular match-saving knock of 302 helped him jump eight places to a career-best 12th.
McCullum, who became the first Kiwi batsman to score a triple hundred, helped draw the second and final Test yesterday, to clinch the series 1-0.
McCullum's partner in a world record sixth-wicket stand worth 352, BJ Watling, has also moved up the rankings, jumping three places to 45th as a result of his knock of 124.
Two other centurions in the Wellington Test have also made upward moves in the latest table. While Ajinkya Rahane is now 46th (up by 15), New Zealand's debutant century-maker Jimmy Neesham has entered the rankings in 59th place.
New Zealand's Tim Southee moved up a place to a career-best ninth in the bowlers' list following his match haul of five for 143 in the Wellington Test against India.
Meanwhile, Australia's Mitchell Johnson has continued to storm through the charts in the bowlers rankings.
Johnson jumped five places to fourth following his spectacular match-winning haul of 12 for 127 in the Centurion Test against South Africa.
Vernon Philander has ceded the number-one position in the bowlers' table to teammate Dale Steyn after a 55-day reign at the top.
ICC Test batsmen rankings
The following are the ICC Test batsmen rankings released Wednesday:
1. AB de Villiers (South Africa) 926 points
2. Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) 879
3. Shivnarine Chanderpaul (West Indies) 876
4. Hashim Amla (South Africa) 850
5. Ross Taylor (New Zealand) 842
6. Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan) 824
7. Cheteshwar Pujara (India) 819
8. Michael Clarke (Australia) 813
9. Virat Kohli (India) 784
10. Younus Khan (Pakistan) 759
The following is the ICC Test bowlers rankings released on Wednesday:
1. Dale Steyn (South Africa) 901 points
2. Vernon Philander (South Africa) 898
3. Ryan Harris (Australia) 852
4. Mitchell Johnson (Australia) 819
5. Saeed Ajmal (Pakistan) 787
6. Peter Siddle (Australia) 779
7. Rangana Herath (Sri Lanka) 774
8. Trent Boult (New Zealand) 767
9. Tim Southee (New Zealand) 757
10. Ravichandran Ashwin (India) 744
The following are the ICC Test all-rounders rankings released Wednesday:
1. Ravichandran Ashwin (India) 373
2. Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) 364
3. Vernon Philander (South Africa) 348
4. Stuart Broad (England) 291
5. Mitchell Johnson (Australia) 281