Port of Spain (Trinidad): All-rounder Kieron Pollard has vowed to return with a vengeance following his omission from the West Indies team for the cricket World Cup.
The selectors’ decision to exclude Pollard and his Trinidad and Tobago teammate Dwayne Bravo from the squad has been a subject of raging controversy in the cricketing world, reports CMC.
The 27-year-old Pollard said his omission from the squad for cricket’s biggest showpiece does not signal the end of his career.
"Despite the omission, I’m definitely not thinking that my international career is over. No way. I’m only 27 and I want to come back with a vengeance," Pollard said Thursday.
"So for now I’ve got to focus on where I want to see myself in a couple of years and what I’ve got in front of me. The break will also help me stay fresh because I’ve been on the road for a long time."
Pollard and Bravo were members of the West Indies team which participated in the aborted tour of India late last year over a pay dispute.
They were said to be the leading players behind the strike and their axing was described as "vengeance" by former West Indian pacer Michael Holding.
"What happened on the tour of India behind my omission? Well let's just say that even before I completed my visa application, I had a fair idea of who would be and wouldn't be in the final squad," he said.
"It was disappointing, obviously, getting that 'bad news' call but I knew from before that I won't be going to the World Cup. These things happen. I'm not the first person not playing in the World Cup and I
definitely won't be the last," Pollard added.
“Life goes on. I'm a young man, I still have a lot of cricket left in me and that's how I look at it."
West Indies open their Cup campaign against Ireland Feb 16.