Bridgetown (Barbados): The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron has hailed the resumption of bilateral ties with the BCCI, as the region prepares to host India in a four-Test series starting in July.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced it had resumed relations with the WICB after resolving "outstanding issues" pertaining to the controversial abandoned tour of India two years ago, when the West Indies players quit the one-day tour over pay issues with their board, reports CMC.
“We are extremely delighted that concerns which arose due to the incomplete tour have been addressed and would like to thank BCCI for reviving our ties,” Cameron said in a statement on Saturday.
“West Indies cricket appreciates the support of BCCI and the cricket loving fans of the islands keenly look forward to witness some exciting contests between the two teams.”
Last December, the WICB announced an agreement to play the four-Test series in the Caribbean, following discussions with the BCCI president, Shashank Manohar.
The agreement was a crucial step in the thawing of relations between the two bodies and BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur on Friday underscored the importance of the upcoming series.
“The BCCI is happy to resume their bilateral ties with WICB. We recognise that West Indies has a huge role to play in the development of cricket and we are happy to support their endeavours,” he said.
“This tour will further strengthen the bond between the Indian and the West Indian fans, who have over the years patronised this glorious game of cricket.”
The BCCI had moved swiftly to suspend relations with the WICB, following the abandoned tour which also led to the cancellation of the scheduled Test tour.
An upset BCCI blamed the WICB for the abandonment and lodged a $42 million claim for losses incurred due to the cancellation, and threatened legal action if the Caribbean board did not show how the amount would be settled.
At the time, the BCCI labelled the West Indies pullout a “monumental disaster” and said it had been faced with “huge revenue losses, a loss of reputation and is at risk of losing valuable commercial partners".
The BCCI has since waived the $42 million claim.
'Rock On 2' trailer launch: Farhan, Shraddha enthrall audience with live gig
Flashback: When bikini babes set a new world record in Australia
Photos: 'Rock On 2' stars Farhan, Shraddha on 'Yaaron Ki Baraat'
Photos: Ajay Devgn launches 'Shivaay' comics at Mumbai Comic Con
Photos: WWE star Sheamus and John Abraham clash in Mumbai