Next

When kite-flying really got cut-throat

Deepak Ghag, a ward boy at a animal hospital, was on his way to work on his bike when a plastic manja nearly slit his throat

A 36-year-old ward boy from the Bombay Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (BSPCA) Hospital at Parel, escaped death after a plastic manja slit his throat while he was riding his motorcycle on the Vakola flyover at Santacruz. 

Survivors: With an injured barn owl in his left hand, Deepak Ghag 
shows the deep cut on his throat that almost claimed his life. 
Pic/Satyajit Desai

Recounting his ordeal, Deepak Ghag, a resident of Malad, said, "I was on the Vakola flyover riding at a speed of 40 kmph, when suddenly I experienced burning sensation around my throat. Within seconds, I realised that a plastic manja was slitting my throat and saw droplets of blood falling on my shirt. With the manja tightening around my neck, I began to lose control of the vehicle. I somehow controlled it and brought it to a halt at the side of the road. I then started loosening the manja that had entangled around my neck. However, by then I had suffered a deep cut on my throat." Shaken by the incident, Ghag then rushed to the hospital where he was treated for his wound.

'Lucky to be alive'
Thanking his lucky stars, Ghag said, "Had I been riding at a higher speed, it would have been impossible for me to control the bike. I would have either skidded off the road or the manja would have completely slit my throat. I consider myself really lucky to have survived."

'Plastic is dangerous'
According to Col (Retd) J C Khanna, secretary, BSPCA, "Currently, there are two types of manjas available in the market: the Indian cotton manja which is coated with powdered glass and wax layer, and the imported manja from China that is made of plastic. The latter is extremely dangerous, as it does not break no matter how much pressure a person applies, thus causing great harm to birds and humans alike."

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply