65-year-old Denis Duthie decided to have a few drinks to celebrate his parents’ 50th marriage anniversary.
But when he walked into the bedroom of his home, he suddenly found that he could not see anything.
“I thought it had got dark and I’d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon,” the Daily Mail quoted him as telling the New Zealand Herald.
“I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but ... I’d just gone completely blind,” he said.
Duthie hoped he would be able to sleep it off, but after waking up next morning he was still unable to see a thing, so he went to Taranaki Base Hospital.
As surgery got underway, the doctors thought that Duthie could have formaldehyde poisoning, which can be treated by administering ethanol- a strong type of alcohol found in drinks like whisky.
However, the hospital did not have enough medical ethanol so a registrar was sent to the store to buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label whisky.
The whisky was then dripped into his stomach through a tube.
“I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes,” Duthie said.
Mumbai food: 9 dishes to try during 9 days of Navratri
Photos: Hrithik Roshan, Nidhhi Agerwal and Adah Sharma walk the ramp
Photos: Shah Rukh Khan spotted with new set of wheels
Photos: Kareena Kapoor Khan, Kangana Ranaut at the Mumbai airport
Chris Gayle's journey from bad boy to a loving partner and caring dad