She says the cup’s design was wrong
Liverpool: A young woman is considering suing fast food giant McDonald’s after she suffered second-degree burns from spilling hot chocolate on her lap. Sam Smith claims the 85°C-drink was filled up too high in the cup at the drive-through in Liverpool, adding that the lids weren’t on properly and the tray holder holding the two drinks wasn’t adequate.
The 22-year-old may now need plastic surgery as a result of her burns, which caused painful blisters and forced off work for six weeks — and she’s now considering her legal options. The estate agent told the Liverpool Echo: “The design of the cup was wrong.
“They were too full, and there was a sharp bend and a speed bump in the drive-through, for some strange reason. “I can’t walk properly now, and shuffle around like a frog.
“Going to the toilet is excruciating. “My mum threw a bottle of water over me when it happened, but the pain in my groin as indescribable.”
Sam’s mum Alison insists that suing McDonald’s is “not about money” and wants an end to hot drinks at drive-throughs.
A McDonald’s spokesman apologised for the incident, adding: “We have launched a full investigation and our customer services team will be in touch with Mrs Smith.”
Around a week ago, a man called up the UK emergency helpline and complained about his McDonald’s order
Mumbai Roundup: 9 incidents that took place this week
Photos: Ajay Devgn, Parineeti, Tabu at 'Golmaal Again' trailer launch
Photos: Dipika Pallikal Karthik oozes oomph in bikinis and sarees
Photos: Kareena Kapoor Khan's grand birthday bash
Photos: 'Dangal' girls Sanya Malhotra, Fatima Sana Shaikh's dinner outing