Delhi government survey shows 76 per cent married couples in the Capital live without their relatives
It is out now. Most of the couples in Delhi prefer to live alone, if one goes by a Delhi government's recent report.
The report prepared by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics and released by Urban Development Minister A K Walia on Thursday said that 76 per cent of the total households in the city were having just one married couple while 8 per cent have two married couples and 2 per cent have three or more married couples.
The reports said that around 57 per cent of Delhi's population lives in their own accommodation while 94 per cent of households have toilet facilities
The report prepared on the basis of data collected between July 2008and June 2009, brings forth some vital aspects regarding housing conditions in the capital. There are 39.23 lakh households in Delhi out of which only 1.80 lakh were in rural areas and rest 37.43 lakh in urban areas.
Delhi has small families, the report said, adding that average size of per household is 4.44 persons. A majority of the households in Delhi are nuclear family households instead of joint families. In urban areas, the capital has around 92 per cent of total households with pucca structure, 5 per cent with semi-pucca structure and only 3 per cent have 'kuccha' structure.
While 51 per cent (20 lakh) of total households were residing in independent houses, 18 per cent (7.17 lakh) were in flats. "As regards ownership of buildings where households were residing was concerned, around 37 per cent (14.41 lakh) were in hired accommodation, 11.5 per cent (1.66 lakh) were in employer's quarters and around 57 per cent (22 lakh) were residing in their own accommodation," the report said.
The report further revealed that in case of 79 per cent of the total households, the age of their dwelling units was less than 20 years, in case of 18 per cent it was between 20-40 years and in case of 4 per cent, it was more than 40 years. "Further it revealed that in case of 80 per cent of the total households, plinth area of their houses was up to 75 sq. metres and for the remaining 20 per cent it was more than 75 sq. metres," a release said quoting the report.
The survey said around 90 per cent families in the megametropolis have toilet facilities. It revealed that 63 per cent of the total houses were having this facility exclusively for themselves, while 20 per cent were using shared facilities and 9 per cent were using public toilets.
A Group of Ministers of Delhi government is understood to have fixed Rs 200 per sq metre as the development charges on unauthorised colonies for their regularisation. The GoM, which had last week decided to keep the charges to the minimum level, met on Thursday and are believed to have decided on the rate. The GoM constituted by the Cabinet to consider all aspects for fixing development charges met under the Chairmanship of Urban Development Minister A K Walia. "It has been decided to fix Rs 200 per sq metre as development charges. There are 1020 unauthorised colonies in the city. The decision will be now be put before the cabinet," sources said. They also said people who will register within 90 days after the cabinet approves the decision will be given a rebate of
20 per cent.