Plot thickens in action directors' family feud
Tinu and Pappu Verma, well-known stunt choreographers in Bollywood, are locked in a bitter, violent property battle with their stepbrothers Mahendra and Manohar Verma
Fuelled by the greed for familial wealth and stained by bloodshed, this real-life feud is far more dramatic than any the Verma brothers Tinu and Pappu have ever staged for Bollywood potboilers.
On August 18, action director Prakash alias Pappu Verma registered an FIR at the Nangal Rajawat police station in Rajasthan against Dindayal Jyotishi, Omprakash Jyotishi and Ramesh Jyotishi under sections 379, 323, 341 and 427 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Pappu alleged that the trio had attacked him and his brother Tinu Verma at the behest of their stepbrothers Mahendra and Manohar Verma.
The first attack took place when Pappu and Tinu had gone to perform a havan in their native village Khawarawji in Rajasthan. Less than a week later, Manohar countered with an FIR against Tinu, after the well-known action director allegedly attacked him.
Source said that the Verma brothers are feuding over the Rs 300-crore assets left behind by their father Badriprasad Jaidev Verma, who expired on November 15, 2012. The two parties fighting over the property have produced two different wills. According to family members, Manohar (48) was allowed to live in a 600 sq ft family farmhouse in Goregaon (East) as per an agreement signed on April 19, 2000. Manohar allegedly encroached upon 6,000 sq ft of land, also building 120 sq ft into the road.
On August 23, Tinu went to question Manohar about the suspected encroachment. The two were involved in a violent argument, following which Tinu allegedly thrashed Manohar, fracturing his legs.
On the same day, Manohar registered an FIR in Kurar police station against Tinu under sections 307 and 452 of IPC and sections 4, 25 of the Arms Act against Tinu Verma.
According to Manohar’s statement, his father Badriprasad Verma was in the business of supplying horses for film shoots and he named his enterprise Verma and Sons. Their father had made a will in 2001, in which he had given 70 per cent share to Jitendra alias Jitu Verma, and kept the remaining 30 per cent with himself. Left out of the equation, the other brothers were outraged.
Tinu soon alleged that his father had made a different will on August 27, 2008, in which both families were mentioned as equal shareholders, and the will shown by Mahohar had been forged.
Tinu Verma and Pappu Verma were not available for comment. When MiD DAY tried to contact Manohar Verma, a woman received the call and informed the reporter that Manohar is recuperating in Kokilaben Hospital, since both his legs have been fractured. She also informed the reporter that the police have not arrested Tinu Verma till date, as he is absconding.
S D Dafle, senior inspector of Kurar police station said, “Tinu Verma is still absconding. We have formed a special team to trace him. One team is searching for him in Mumbai and the second outside city limits.”