In a rare surgery, doctors at state-run Calcutta Medical College and Hospital took out more than 600 iron nails from a mentally unstable person's stomach. The procedure was performed after an ultrasonography test on the patient found that a lot of nails were piled in his stomach
A woman who was addicted to pulling out and eating her own hair was operated on at Rajawadi hospital in Ghatkopar, where doctors removed a giant hairball weighing 750 g from her stomach. She was found to be suffering from the rare Rapunzel Syndrome, which has only ever been documented 88 times in medical literature the world over.
After experiencing a grave struggle to breathe correctly and even a burning sensation inside her nose, 42-year-old Selvi from Tamil Nadu went to the Stanley Medical College Hospital. Doctors finally removed the obstruction with the aid of a torch and a nasal endoscope. The entire procedure took 45 minutes. To everyone's surprise, it turned out to be a living, full-grown cockroach. How the bug managed to enter the woman's nose baffled the medical team
Doctors at JJ Hospital were left stunned when they extracted 232 teeth from a teenager’s jaw. Senior doctors at the dental department of the hospital said they had never come across such a case before.
Doctors at KEM hospital removed a hairball weighing about 3 kg from the stomach of a 14-year-old girl. The teen used to complain of pain in the abdomen and suffered from a rare condition, which made her eat her own hair for over 10 years.
In an unusual case, as many as 40 knives were surgically removed from the stomach of a policeman who claimed that he used to feel an “urge” to eat them. A team of five doctors carried out a five-hour-long surgery on Surjeet Singh (40), who is employed with the Punjab Police.
A rare surgery was performed in Madhya Pradesh's Rewa district, where doctors removed 5 kilograms of iron objects including a chain, 263 coins and shaving blades, from the stomach of a man. The operation was performed at the Sanjay Gandhi Medical College and Hospital.
According to reports, doctors from Jiangshu province in China removed a cigarette lighter out of a man’s stomach after he had swallowed it whole. It is believed that the man had consumed drugs before swallowing the object whole.
Doctors from the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences Hospital in New Delhi successfully removed a 6-foot long tapeworm from the mouth of a 48-year-old patient. The doctors used forceps to remove the parasite. Even the doctors expressed surprise at how long the worm was.
Doctors found nearly 150 pins inside various parts of a 56-year-old railway employee's body. The employee, who was from Kota, had safety pins and hypodermic injection needles piercing his wind pipe, food pipe, vocal cord and other critical parts. Only 92 pins were taken out during the surgery.
A six-and-a-half-inch wooden stick was removed from the abdomen of a 10-year old boy from Barabanki. The operation was performed by a team of doctors from King George's Medical University (KGMU) pediatric surgery department.
A dead foetus was removed from a 15-year-old Malaysian boy's stomach. The foetus was the boy's own twin who had not developed properly during the pregnancy.
A dental drill fell into the windpipe of a patient while he was undergoing a root canal procedure. It was however, successfully removed by doctors at Nagpur's Getwell Hospital. The dangerous position of the drill meant that even a slight dislodgement could have resulted in tragedy.
Doctors from Solihull hospital in the UK were shocked to find a woman with 27 contact lenses stuck to her eye. The 67-year-old woman had not reported any problems, as she had attributed the discomfort to old age.
Doctors in Vietnam removed a pair of surgical forceps that had been forgotten inside a man's abdomen almost 18 years prior. The patient believes the forceps might have been left behind after he underwent an emergency surgery following an accident in 1998.