24 May,2026 10:54 PM IST | Mumbai | Sarthak Mehta
Clearing operations at the site. PIC/SHADAB KHAN
Five days after the Garib Nagar demolition drive began, this reporter visited ground zero on Sunday to witness the aftermath firsthand. Piles of debris, partially razed structures, and deserted lanes marked the area, while authorities continued post-demolition operations amid tight security. Homeless residents of the area that aren't eligible for rehabilitation were not seen at the site, while residents of huts that were protected from demolition and are awaiting rehabilitation were seen living on open ground along with their household belongings under a foot overbridge.
Residents from the protected huts that are situated near a service track and face the platform no. 7 of Bandra suburban railway station, said they were told that they would be protected from demolition but have still ended up on the street as authorities surprised them with the demolition plan to clear out any additional floors over the ground structure. Several residents alleged that multiple thefts took place in the area after the forced and unplanned desertion of their unlocked houses amid the drive.
Around 170 security personnel from the MSF (Maharashtra Security Force), RPF (Railway Protection Force), and RPSF (Railway Protection Special Force) were present at the demolished site on Sunday.
Debris at the site on Sunday. PICS/SHADAB KHAN
Haseena Mehbubali shaikh, 55, said, "We were in our huts till May 21. On May 22, we were asked to leave as bulldozers neared our home. We have been out of our homes since then. We have to rely on area volunteers for food. Power connections to our homes have also been cut. How will we live in these homes till we get alternative housing? And who knows how many months that would take."
Rukhsar Shaikh, 30, said, "I am unable to access my home due to debris. We have been out in the open for 3-4 days now. Not sure how long it will take for us to get alternative housing."
Shamim Sayeed Moinuddin, 50, said, "They should have provided us with alternative houses before the drive, so all this could have been avoided. We were first told our home is protected and that no one will touch it. Then suddenly we were asked to leave. Today they have allowed us to enter our homes, so I have come here to collect basic necessities like clothes. We were unable to go to our jobs as all our belongings were locked here. I am unable to find a few of my belongings, and I suspect theft. We are forced to live in the open as we were asked to vacate suddenly and rent/deposit in nearby areas has already surged. People are asking for Rs 1 lakh as deposit. From where will we bring that kind of money?"
Tabassum Ramzan Khan, 26, said, "Part of our hut's ground-floor roof was damaged during demolition despite ours being a protected hut until rehabilitation. How will we live during the monsoon if we don't receive the awaited rehabilitation by then. We were told to leave our homes and get away from the site in the middle of the drive. We were not given enough time to even lock and secure our belongings. Jewellery and valuables were stolen from our house due to that.
Court order for the demolition affixed on Garib Nagar homes. PIC/SARTHAK MEHTA
Location: Garib Nagar, adjacent to suburban railway station, Bandra East
Encroached area being reclaimed: 5300 square metres
Demolition authority: Western Railway
Structures affected: Around 600 (500 razed; 100 remain pending rehabilitation)
Action taken: Following recent Bombay High Court order dated April 29
Reclamation timeline: Demolition drive between May 19-23; May 23 onwards post-demolition work continues
Officials deployed: Around 1000 officials deployed daily throughout the five day demolition drive
Post demolition drive status: Huge piles of debris remains on site; debris removal, manual demolition of soft structures continues.
A Western Railway spokesperson said, "As the debris is being cleared, we have started concreting work at the site. Fencing work will follow to secure the site."