11 commuters sustain burns in Andheri-CST local fire
Following the fire that broke out at 11.30 am yesterday, 10 injured commuters were rushed to JJ Hospital, while one was taken to St George Hospital for treatment
The fire that broke out in the Andheri-CST suburban local at Dockyard Road station yesterday left 11 commuters with burn injuries. Except for four patients who suffered major burns, the others were discharged after treatment on Out Patient Department (OPD) basis. The injured confirmed that the fire emerged from below the compartment and only rose to the right side of the compartment.
According to reports from railway authorities, the incident occurred due to the malfunctioning of a transformer located in the second coach of the train. The malfunction resulted in leakage of transformer oil, which ignited the fire. Out of the 11 passengers, Samad Abdulla Shaikh (19), Sandip Patil (21), Swapnil Keluskar (20) and Qudus Hussain (26) suffered major burns and were admitted to JJ Hospital.
Doctors at JJ Hospital said that Samad Abdulla Shaikh, a resident of Wadala, was one of the most gravely injured having sustained up to 42 per cent superficial to deep burns all over his body. “The entire right side of his chest and abdomen has been burnt. His face, feet and hands have burn injuries,” said a casualty medical officer at JJ Hospital. Sandip Patil (21) and his friend Swapnil Keluskar (20), residents of Santacruz, were on their way to give an interview at Sandhurst Road.
Both suffered about 32 per cent burns on hands, feet, ears and the back. Apart from the four commuters who sustained major injuries, six others with minor injuries were discharged from JJ Hospital after medical examination. Nagnekar (54), who was rushed to St George Hospital, was discharged after receiving treatment.
I was standing on the right footboard when suddenly, black oil started spurting from under the train and flames surrounded the door. Five of us were standing on the footboard where the explosion occurred.
— Samad Abdullah Shaikh, who sustained up to 42 per cent burns
I was holding on to the metal bar at the right door. I saw a small explosion, followed by flames emerging from underneath. I immediately jumped out of the train and onto the platform and avoided getting burnt. My wife and three-month-old son were in the ladies compartment, and I am glad that the fire did not spread to that compartment.
— Mohammed Shaikh Bashir, who sustained mild burns to his right wrist
The entire incident did not last for more than 10 minutes. I was engulfed in flames while waiting to get down at Masjid Bunder. Commuters who were waiting to alight at Dockyard Road station escaped unharmed
— Sayyed Imran Akbar who suffered burns on his wrist and arm
An ex-gratia amount of Rs 5,000 and Rs 25,000 is being given to mild and seriously injured passengers
— Senior Railway official
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Mumbai MTNL building fire: 84 people rescued