15-year-old dies after scuffle with classmate

Published: 22 October, 2013 02:09 IST | Salil Urunkar |

A row over an unpaid debt of Rs 5 between two classmates, studying in Pimprinagar Madhyamik Vidyalaya, has resulted in the death of one of the boys, after he was pushed during the altercation in the school yesterday.

Hrushikesh Bapu Sarode, the 15-year-old, died after hitting his head on the edge of a bench. The tragic incident took place in the afternoon, shortly after the students had returned to their classrooms after their afternoon break.

Hrushikesh Sarode
Tragic: 15-year-old Hrushikesh Sarode, studying in Pimprinagar Madhyamik Vidyalaya, hit his head against the bench after his classmate pushed him in class yesterday 

Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation runs the school at the D-ward office building. Police have not yet arrested the accused, who is a minor and a close friend of the deceased. The process of registering a case is ongoing at the Pimpri police station.

According to Pimpri police, the students of Std IX were divided in 10 groups after a project was assigned by the physical training teacher on Body Mass Index. Sarode’s friend had earlier in the day borrowed Rs 15 from him to photocopy documents pertaining to the project.

Around 12:30 pm, he returned Rs 10, but a confrontation unfolded shortly afterwards over the remaining amount. The argument turned physical and the accused allegedly pushed Sarode due to which his head hit the bench, rendering him unconscious.

Hrushikesh was rushed to Jijamata hospital by the schoolteachers Khedkar and Sontakke, and was later shifted to the YCM Hospital where doctors declared him dead on arrival.

“Being close friends Sarode and the accused would often travel to school together. He [accused] did not push Sarode with the intention of murder. The unfortunate incident happened in the heat of the moment,” a police officer said, on condition of anonymity.

Assistant Commissioner of Police (Pimpri) Shivaji Shelar said, “Sarode did not sustain any external injuries. We are still awaiting the post-mortem report, but prima facie it seems he succumbed to a brain injury caused by the impact of the fall.

His friend is still to be arrested, but cannot be placed in custody since he is a minor and will be sent to the juvenile remand home.” Additional Municipal Commissioner Tanaji Shinde said, “We are awaiting the police report and will take further action accordingly.” 

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK