19-year-old Mumbai boy's death baffles family members

Oct 20, 2013, 06:21 IST | Neha LM Tripathi

Three days after Douglas Gonsalves was found dead on the railway tracks near Vile Parle, his shocked family members say they still have no clue how the teenager died and why the cops took more than 12 hours to inform them

Nothing could be more tragic for a mother than losing her teenage son on her 50th birthday. Goregoan resident Douglas Gonsalves left home to meet his cousin on the evening of October 16 and never returned. His mother Maria is in a state of shock and family members say they are still clueless as to whether he was pushed off a running train or slipped to his death.

Douglas Gonsalves

According to the police, the incident took place around 8 pm somewhere between Andheri and Vile Parle railway stations. The younger of the two Gonsalves siblings, Douglas was a part-time DJ but was apparently looking at getting a stable job soon. He had completed his diploma in Hospitality Management. “He was supposed to meet his cousin at around 8.30 pm at Bandra station. When he did not arrive, she called us up. But we thought he might have changed his mind and may have gone to meet his friends as he had done this before,” said Maria.

“His phone wasn’t reachable and we waited until midnight. We spent a sleepless night as his phone was unreachable. We hoped he was partying with his friends and his phone was switched off. The first thing I did after I woke at around 7 am was call him. I heaved a sigh of relief once I heard the phone ringing. But a cop picked up and informed me about the accident,” recalled Kenyl, Douglas’ elder brother.

The family is yet to come to terms with the incident. “I have no idea what actually led to his death. We also don’t understand why the police didn’t inform us earlier and waited for us to call them? They discovered the body at 8.30 pm,” said Sheena Picardo, Douglas’ cousin. The body was taken to the BMC-run Cooper Hospital after the relatives arrived at Vile Parle station the next morning. After a post mortem, the family took Douglas’ body to their residence at Goregaon and the funeral was performed. Hospital records show that Douglas died due to haemorrhagic shock and multiple injuries.

Cop speak
“We received a call from the Vile Parle station master at around 9 pm after which we rushed to the spot. The body was lying between the fast tracks going towards Borivali and slow track towards Churchgate. However, our investigation is still in process,” said LA Salunkhe, investigating officer. 

Go to top